Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria Overview

Specialists Who Diagnose and Treat CIU

Getting the right diagnosis may lead to a treatment that works for you.

Sometimes it’s necessary to see a specialized doctor in addition to your primary care doctor to get a more detailed diagnosis of your condition. This is where a specialist comes in handy.

Seeing a specialist who can diagnose and treat chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) is a step in getting more control of your condition. These specialists include both allergists and dermatologists. The majority of CIU patients are diagnosed and treated by an allergist. However, a dermatologist may also diagnose and treat the condition as well.

If you have hives that last for 6 weeks or more, you may want to see a specialist

What are the symptoms of CIU?

How a Specialist Diagnoses CIU

To diagnose CIU, your specialist relies on two important sets of information:

  • The result of a physical exam of your hives
  • Your medical history

Is There a CIU Test?

There is no laboratory test or blood test that can specifically diagnose CIU. However, your specialist may decide to do some tests to see if other health conditions may be the cause of your hives. If a cause still isn’t found and if your symptoms have lasted 6 weeks or more, your specialist may diagnose you with CIU.

These tests may include:

  • A blood test: A blood sample may be taken to count the different parts of your blood, like white blood cells and red blood cells. This may be done to rule out infection or other conditions as the cause of your hives.
  • A skin test: Your skin may be pricked to confirm whether you have allergies.

If at any point your doctor finds something specific that is causing your hives then the diagnosis will not be CIU. Talking to a specialist like an allergist or dermatologist may help with a diagnosis.