What is XOLAIR (Omalizumab) Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria (CIU) Treatment

XOLAIR and Chronic Hives With No Known Cause

XOLAIR is medicine prescribed for chronic idiopathic urticaria—or hives that last 6 weeks or more and have no known cause. If you have been diagnosed with chronic idiopathic urticaria (CIU) and continue to have symptoms that are not controlled by antihistamines, you may be a candidate for XOLAIR.

XOLAIR is for adults and children 12 years of age and older with CIU. XOLAIR is an injection given under the skin every 4 weeks. After you've established treatment in a doctor's office or infusion center, your doctor will determine if you or your caregiver may inject XOLAIR. If your doctor decides that you or a caregiver may be able to give your own XOLAIR prefilled syringe injections, you should receive training on the right way to prepare and inject XOLAIR. Do not try to inject your XOLAIR prefilled syringe until you have been shown the right way to give XOLAIR injections by your doctor.

What is the most important information I should know about XOLAIR?

Severe allergic reaction. A severe allergic reaction called anaphylaxis can happen when you receive XOLAIR. The reaction can occur after the first dose, or after many doses. It may also occur right after a XOLAIR injection or days later. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening condition and can lead to death. Go to the nearest emergency room right away if you have any of these symptoms of an allergic reaction:

  • wheezing, shortness of breath, cough, chest tightness, or trouble breathing
  • low blood pressure, dizziness, fainting, rapid or weak heartbeat, anxiety, or feeling of “impending doom”
  • flushing, itching, hives, or feeling warm
  • swelling of the throat or tongue, throat tightness, hoarse voice, or trouble swallowing

Your healthcare provider will monitor you closely for symptoms of an allergic reaction while you are receiving XOLAIR and for a period of time after treatment is initiated. Your healthcare provider should talk to you about getting medical treatment if you have symptoms of an allergic reaction.

Talk to a specialist like an allergist or dermatologist about CIU and if XOLAIR may be right for you. The XOLAIR discussion guide may provide you with the questions you should ask during your visit.