- What personally identifiable information of yours we may collect from you through our website and how we may use this information
- Limits on how we would share and disclose your personally identifiable information
- Our policy regarding collection of personally identifiable information from minors
- Our policy regarding browser "do not track" signals
- How this website uses social media plugins
- Our policy regarding links to third party websites
- Security of our website
- How you can correct and update
your personally identifiable information
Information Collection and Use
You can generally visit our website without revealing any personally identifiable information about yourself. However, to access certain options and services we may ask you to provide certain personally identifiable information, and without providing such personally identifiable information, you may be unable to access certain options and services. We (along with our third party partners engaged to provide marketing and advertising on our behalf) collect personally identifiable information about you when you visit our website only if you voluntarily provide it to us, and you have the option not to provide any personally identifiable information to us through this website. The following is personally identifiable information that you may voluntarily provide to us and how we use it:
- Surveys. Information obtained from you on web surveys, such as contact information (name and shipping address), demographic information (zip code, age level) and medical condition. We may use this personally identifiable information to provide you with information and services for which you have expressed an interest or that you may find useful based on your answers in a survey. Additionally, we may refer to your personally identifiable information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our website.
- Newsletters. Information obtained from you from your request to subscribe to a newsletter, such as contact information (name and e-mail address). We may use this personally identifiable information to deliver the newsletters that you have elected to receive.
- Registration. Information obtained from you on registration forms used to process your requests for services and information, such as contact information (name, address, e-mail address), password, username or code, age, date of birth, gender, ethnicity and medical condition. This registration information may also be gathered if you register for certain services via fax or mail. We may use this information to send you a welcoming e-mail to verify your username and password, website updates, special offers, notices regarding relevant medical conditions and treatment, or other information responsive to the data that you provide to us. Additionally, we may refer to your personally identifiable information to better understand your needs and how we can improve our website.
E-mail Content to a Friend. Information obtained from you
regarding friend or family name and e-mail address, if you elect to
use our referral service for sending some of our website content to
friends and family. We may use this personally identifiable
information to automatically send the friend or family member a
one-time e-mail inviting them to visit the website. We may store
this information for the sole purpose of sending this one-time
We may combine the personally identifiable information you share
with us through this website with other information you have shared
with us, both online and offline. We may also combine this personally
identifiable information with records provided by third parties. We
use this consolidated information to help us better design our
products, to communicate information to you, to enhance our marketing
and research activities, and to facilitate other business
In addition to the purposes described above, any information we collect may also be used for analytics purposes (e.g., evaluating site usage patterns, assessing throughput) so that we can gauge the effectiveness of our programs and improve the usefulness of information presented to users.
Genentech and Novartis are the owners of all information collected on this website.
Sharing and Disclosure
We may provide your personally identifiable information that we collect and the data generated by cookies (discussed below) to a parent, subsidiary or affiliate entity within the Genentech and/or Novartis corporate families, partner entities, and the vendors and service agencies that we may engage to assist us. For example, we may provide your personally identifiable information to an organization in order to complete a service (e.g., send out newsletter e-mails you have requested), to assist us in reviewing the data or to provide marketing or advertising on our behalf. Any organization to which we provide such personally identifiable information is also required to keep your personally identifiable information confidential.
We will also disclose your personally identifiable information if we reasonably believe we are required to do so by law, regulation, legal process, or other government authority (such as reporting safety information to the Food and Drug Administration); to investigate fraud; to protect your safety or the safety of others; or when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to protect our rights or the rights of a third party who may be harmed by your activities.
This website is not intended for or designed to attract children under the age of 13. Moreover, we do not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18 without the consent of a parent or guardian, and you must be 18 years of age or older to submit registration or survey information. Should you believe that a minor of whom you are a parent or guardian has registered, please contact us at email@example.com and we will make reasonable efforts to remove all personally identifiable information related to the minor.
Cookies, LSOs, GIF Files, and Other Tracking Technologies
This website and emails we send to you may contain transparent GIF files (also known as "web beacons," "action tags," or "pixel tags") to help manage online advertising. These GIF files are used by us and our ad management partners to recognize when a visitor views a web page or opens an email. This information enables us to learn which emails and advertisements bring users to our website.
If you have provided us with personally identifiable information, e.g., through a registration or a request for certain materials, we may associate this personally identifiable information with information gathered through these tracking technologies. This allows us to offer increased personalization and functionality.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
Some web browsers may transmit "do-not-track" signals to websites with which the browser communicates. This website does not currently respond to these "do-not-track" signals.
Social Media Plugins
This website may use social media plugins (e.g., the Facebook "Like" button, '"Share to Twitter"' button) to enable you to easily share information with others. When you visit our website, the operator of the social plugin can place a cookie on your computer, enabling that operator to recognize individuals who have previously visited our site. If you are logged into the social media website (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Google+) while browsing on our website, the social plugins allow that social media website to receive information that you have visited our website. The social plugins also allow the social media website to share information about your activities on our website with other users of their social media website. For example, Facebook Social Plugins allow Facebook to show your Likes and comments on our pages to your Facebook friends. Facebook Social Plugins also allow you to see your friends' Facebook activity on our website. Neither Genentech nor Novartis control any of the content from the social media plugins. For more information about social plugins from other social media websites, you should refer to those sites' privacy and data sharing statements.
Log Files and Aggregate Information
We may track the total number of visitors to our website, the number of visitors to each page of our website, IP addresses, and the domain names of our users' Internet Service Providers, and we may analyze these data for trends and statistics in the aggregate, but such information will be in aggregate form only and it will not contain personally identifiable data. Such aggregate information is not linked to any personally identifiable information that can identify any individual person.
We may use such aggregate information to analyze trends, administer the website, track user's movement, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. We may share this aggregate information with our corporate partners and contracted vendors to assist us in operating the website and to enable them to better understand Genentech's and/or Novartis' businesses.
Links to Third Party Sites
Genentech, Novartis, and their third party providers may employ procedural and technological security measures, consistent with industry practice. Such measures are reasonably designed to protect your personally identifiable information from loss, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Genentech and Novartis may use encryption, password protection, secure socket layers, internal restrictions and other security measures to help prevent unauthorized access to your personally identifiable information gathered through this website. However, you provide your information to us at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that your data will not be lost, accessed without authorization, disclosed, altered, or destroyed.
Correction/Updating Personally Identifiable Information
Genentech USA, Inc.
Attn: Privacy Office
1 DNA Way
South San Francisco, CA 94080
- Revised introduction and reordered sections for ease of readability.
- Revised 'Sharing and Disclosure' section to clarify circumstances in which personally identifiable information may be shared with third parties. The revised language explicitly includes where required by legal process, to protect your safety or the safety of others, as well as circumstances in which such disclosures are necessary to protect Genentech's rights or the rights of a third party.
- Added section 'Do Not Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms'.
- Added section 'Social Media Plugins'.
- Revised 'Cookies, LSOs, GIF Files, and Other Tracking Technologies' section to add language on Google analytics, address new types of online tracking technologies, and notify users of the possibility of personally identifiable information being associated with such technologies.
- Revised 'Security' section to expressly make clear that use of
this website is at the user's own risk.